Having a flower girl and page boy in your wedding adds a certain charm and innocence to the ceremony, but how old should they be? Check out our tips on including flower girls and page boys in your wedding.
The common age range for flower girls and page boys is four years to eight years old – grown up enough to understand what is needed of them while still young enough to enjoy their role to maximum.
That said the ages of child attendants aren’t set in stone, and if you wish for your two year old niece to be a flower girl you can do it as long as you keep in mind that she will need a lot of guidance. Many couples get married after they have their own children, so including your sons or daughters as part of your wedding ceremony will of course be a high priority whatever their age.
If you want to have young children in the bridal party as a flower girl and page boy here are some top tips:
- Remember there might be tears and tantrums. Young children can be unpredictable but that is what makes them an adorable part of your special day. If you feel like a crying child will ruin your ceremony, perhaps you might want to think whether you should include children in the first place.
- Seat a relative of the page boy or flower girl close to the front of the ceremony in plain view to give the child something to focus on. If the groom is the child’s father this is most likely not a problem, as they just have to get to their daddy. As they reach the front, ensure they get to sit on the lap of an assigned relative armed with sweets.
- Don’t ask too much from very young children. Just getting children under four down the aisle with a smile on their face will provide a big enough challenge without asking them to sprinkle petals or carry rings.
- Think about having a young flower girl and page boy walk together with an older attendant. Maybe you could include siblings in the bridal party and have the older one as a bridesmaid and the younger one as the flower girl, so they can walk down the aisle together.
- If you wish to have a baby as a flower girl or page boy they will need to be carried down the aisle, possibly by a bridesmaid or usher. It is most likely a good idea to carry children up to the age of two as walking down the aisle at a pace can be very scary before that age even if they are already good walkers.